Wednesday 1 February 2017

February Activities :)


let there be SPRING
Today it is February the first and the Irish people celebrate St. Bridget's-Day.
the old St.Bridget's crosses above the portrait of our neighbor Pat
Many rituals are connected within Irish History and Folklore about that special day. But most of all it is famous for the St. Bridget's cross, which is made out of rushes from the marshy land. Also people say, that you should leave a blue cloth or ribbon outside on one of the hedges. St. Bridget would bless it while passing and this material can be used for hanging around your neck or head to keep sore throats and headache away. Today it's also said to be the start of Spring.


Spring actually already had a step-visit in mid/late January. Therefor I spent any free time of those last two weeks in January mostly in the garden and the tunnel. The weather was reasonable mild, actually that inviting, that I just couldn't resist. While digging the ground and fighting with nettle roots and other invasive plants for hours I also listened to the birds singing.  It is a very different tone ... no croaky chirping or gentle peeping, like in wintertime. They seem to give their best and it just sounds like a melodic symphony concert to me.
Over 20 boxes all weeded and manured with our own compost
Any kind of work in the garden or on the land is a great healing act. While using your body through physical work, your mind drifts off and memories emerge out of nothing while philosophy kicks in. My late Dad always comes into my mind when working in the garden. Year after years he used to visit us in Springtime - mostly in March/April. around  the time of his and my birthday. Beside doing plenty of day-tours to the great blue ocean ( as he loved the sea ), he always supported me greatly in the garden. He was like a machine, like an engine, like a magic apparatus.  Working as a bricklayer all his live, he was used to work extremely hard day in day out .... and if he didn't work he exercised, cycling, hiking, jogging... for endless miles and miles. Even after his strokes and with a severe Dementia he still kept going. That was somehow a bit worrying for me, as he would just leave after lunch and go for a walk. It is easy to get lost between the small lane ways or on the mountain - even without Dementia - and considering that he had no English at all. But having visited us for almost 20 years and celebrated communions and confirmations within the local community, many people knew his face and would have 'an eye' on him, that particular way without attracting attention like only rural community would perform. Sometimes I did follow him on the bicycle for a while, just to calm myself down. Nothing ever happened ... he always found his way home.
Dad's having a picnic at Dunmoran  beach during his last visit
But back to the pile of weeds, I must admit, that I admire the perfect constructed root network of any of those hardy plants .... no wonder that they cant be fully distinguished - even not by weedkiller, as they always come back. No weedkiller goes EVER on our land, as it is never worth it. Why would I poison the soil, where I grow food on, where my animals and we all walk on, sit on, play on? Not my game!

Another work I still have to do is cutting down some of the herbs and reducing the heavy shoots of my currant-bushes and raspberries. I pile them up on my rough wood heap beside the compost or use them within my workshop. Cuttings of all sorts and other 'dead material' come in very handy when creating spring arrangements. Especially if you want to demonstrate the emerging of springtime with twigs, moos and dry, wild, strawy materials.


So the Workshops in February are:

Valentines - Workshop for Men - 11th of February
Valentines Workshop for everybody on Valentinesday, 14th of February 
More information in my last blog 'BE my VALENTINE




a frame out of willow 



the finished product














Some people cant make the weekday-workshops, so I will also offer a Saturday workshop:

Spring -weaving and arranging, 
Saturday, 18th of February 2.00 pm - 5.00 pm

Spring -weaving and arranging
Tuesday, 28th of February 11.00 am to 2.00 pm

As always there is homebaking/lunch included.
Places are limited.

If none of the times suit you and you would like a bit of spring-feeling 'delivered', you can contact me with any query.


















No comments:

Post a Comment